Sunday, May 29, 2016

Day 14. Fromista

I walked about 16 miles today to get to Fromista. 272 miles to go.

As I arrived in Fromista the church bells began to ring persistently. There was a fancy pathway laid out in what I think was sand and colored sawdust.
I rushed to check into the Albergue and got back out just in time to see the tail end of the procession



Little girls and a few little boys all dressed up went ahead of the priest who was walking under the canopy carrying a very fancy silver box which displayed a consecrated host. I'm told that the children had probably just had their first communion.   As they reached the last building on their route the priest performed a little ceremony of blessing. My guess is that they did this many times on the route but I only saw the end. Townspeople followed along behind singing. Then we processed to the church where a few more prayers were said, the priest removed the host from its traveling box and put it back behind the altar. Then things broke up, pictures of children were taken, and I wandered around the church admiring their artwork. 

No comments:

Post a Comment