Sunday, June 12, 2016

Day 28. Galicia is Different

I have moved into a land of hills once again. Free range chickens and cows everywhere. Spanish beef is on the tough side. I suspect that this is because it is all grass-fed. Seems like a much better life for the cows. Passed a whole bunch of calves out grazing with their mothers. Lots nicer than seeing the calves in little houses, separated from moms for maximum milk production.



A stone cross, featuring Mary with the dead body of Jesus in her arms.


And chickens in the rain. 


By the time I got to my Albergue it was drizzling and I'd gone a little further than I'd predicted in the morning. I'd promised myself to stop at the next place, having already stopped at one place that was full up. As I approached I heard dogs barking and a horrendous noise that brought to mind Dantes Inferno. Not auspicious but I stopped anyway, since yesterday was one day too many of going farther than was wise. Exploring after I checked in I discovered that there is some sort of soccer camp happening across the street. In addition to soccer fields they have a gym. I was hearing cheers magnified by the cavernous gymnasium and funneled through the open door. 

I'm in a jumbo-sized Albergue tonight, apparently built to house 200. But only a maximum of 60 in my room. They had a wonderful coon operated washer and dryer so some of my slow to dry clothes actually got clean. And for 60 people (or maybe 200) they have 2 plugs for charging devices. One each in the men's bathroom and ladies bathroom. But I checked in early so my battery got fully charged. And it looks like our room will not be filled unless we have a late flood of pilgrims. 

Hoping to make it to Santiago by Friday. For those of you who pray I'd appreciate prayers for continued (and complete) healing for my ankle and for wisdom as I figure out each day how much walking is reasonable. I have far more stamina than I had to begin--but because of the ankle it's important not to push it


No comments:

Post a Comment