Thursday, June 23, 2016

Days 30 and 31. What has the Camino Taught Me

As I walked through these days there was sin and rain. Sometimes there were hordes of people on the path. Amazingly, a lot of the time I seemed to be almost alone on the path. I found a walking partner who was almost as lame as I was and we walked together a good deal.
The path went by farms and gardens and through woods. Some of the woods were lovely, but no lovelier than the woods back home.

But it seems to be a good time for taking stock. What have I learned on the Camino?  What has this trip done for me or to me?  I've had momentary flashes of insight, some of which have been recorded here, but if I am like a computer, this trip has not been filled with spiritual software downloads. I do not have any life changing insights for the way ahead. At least, not yet.

Physically, I'm a lot stronger. Hopefully I've lost some weight.  My pants sure seem looser.  My diabetes has responded well to the increased exercise--my blood sugar has been wonderfully under control on this trip. And in exchange, I'm somewhat lame. My ankle will take weeks to finish healing, absent a healing miracle. I'm confident that the blessings on this trip have been well worth the pain. I've gained some increased facility in starting conversations with strangers, whether or not I speak their language or they speak mine. I'm much more competent at living out of a backpack. But how well those skills will translate to life at home I have my doubts.

One small lesson in competence hat I hope too be able to hang on to is that how easily you start in the morning is directly related to how well you planned for that the day before. Had to do this on the trail. But I'd like to keep doing it in regular life.

The most important thing that I think I have gained I don't have good words for, and I'm not even sure I'm right about it. If we return to the computer analogy, I think I may have gotten an upgraded operating system. I suspect that there is an increased breadth of mind and heart. Only time will tell if that's real--and maybe I won't be the one who sees the changes.

I will say that whatever I have gotten, I am very grateful to have been able to do this trip. One Tshirt I saw said "The Camino is Ike riding a bike--you never forget".

The one souvenir I am eager to purchase is a small magnet that says. "Aqui vive una peregina". A pilgrim lives here. Not so much as a boast that I have done it (though make no mistake--it is that) as a reminder of the real pilgrimage we are all on. As one old song says, "This world is not my home, I'm just a-passing through..."

I added it up, and found that I've walked 475 k from city to city.  295 miles. Despite the shortening of the trip due to ankle problems I am pleased and proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment