Friday, June 24, 2016

Day 36. El Prado and the Mercado de San Miguel

I got a late start in the morning by waiting until my roommates checked out so that I could claim one of their lower bunks. Not going to make that climb for the next two nights here.

As expected then the line for the museum was quite long. What I did not expect was for the museum staff to seek me out and allow me to jump the line because of my walking sticks. I felt a little fraudulent taking them up on this but about two hours or less in the museum did me in, so I was quite grateful.

They stopped me from taking pictures in the museum, so I have little to show.  One of the works that really struck me was one I am quite familiar with, Fra Angelico's Annunciation. Picture here. Either I had seen other versions of this, or they had been cropped to show only the main scene. Anyway, this version of the scene shows Adam and Eve being kicked out of the garden in the background--the problem to which this moment bears the solution. Across the bottom are key scenes from Matys life--a scene that might be Joseph discovering that she is pregnant, visiting Elizabeth, the birth of Jesus, the presentation in the temple, and the dormition of Mary at the end of her life. I really liked the increased richness of the painting with all the additional detail

I enjoyed the museum but was tired and sore quickly. In the evening I discovered the Mercado de San Miguel. Think a smaller version of the Reading Market in Philadelphia.
A display of different olives. 


Sausages in paper twists like one might sell candied nuts. 

Various artistic tapas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment